Listen to this article
Green tea and protein shake are considered one of the most famous and effective beverages for weight loss. In fact, they can boost energy levels, keeping you active throughout the day. Therefore, many fitness enthusiasts drink them before or after their workout routine. Though the benefits of green tea and protein shakes are well known, is one better than another for weight loss? Let’s find out!
Health Shots spoke to Dr Swathi Reddy (PT), Consultant Physiotherapist and certified diet counsellor, and MIAP, Motherhood Hospitals, Bengaluru, to find out the benefits of these two beverages and their pros and cons for weight loss.
Dr Reddy says, “You need to drink something post-workout to get the energy you need and also for hydration. Many fitness enthusiasts opt for protein shakes post their strenuous workouts, but there can be other options to choose from. One such option that has emerged is green tea.” It’s a beverage known for its benefits on health and high antioxidant content. But what is better, a protein shake or green tea? Let’s find out!
Here are the benefits of green tea:
There is a reason why green tea has emerged as one of the most preferred beverage out there and why fitness enthusiasts never fail to fall for it. It is low in calories, high in antioxidants, and not to mention, helpful in weight loss. Here’s how it will help fitness enthusiasts:
1. Boosts metabolism: Green tea will boost your metabolism which will further help you in burning more calories. It also contains EGCG (epigallocatechin gallate) which helps in preventing diseases.
2. Regulates heart rate: Your heart rate increases when you exercise. Green tea is known to give a relaxing effect on your body and its consumption will also help you in slowing down your heart rate.
3. Antioxidants: This drink is high in antioxidants and will also help you deal with muscle soreness and fatigue.
Also read: Green juice or protein smoothie: Is one better than another for weight loss?
4. Improve energy levels: Exercise may make you feel low in energy, but drinking green tea can keep you going all day.
5. Low calorie: Fitness-conscious people are mindful of their eating habits. They can go for green tea as it is a sugar-free beverage.
Benefits of protein shakes:
We are probably aware of the popularity of protein shakes. These are easy to make, and so, fitness freaks love to carry them around. Here’s how they benefit your body if consumed post-workout:
1. Muscle growth: Protein is an essential component that our body needs for growth. Protein shakes are a good option to keep your protein levels in check.
2. Post-workout recovery: One of the common reasons why protein is consumed post-workout is to give relief and speed up the recovery of the muscles.
3. Boost metabolism: They give your body the fuel to build and repair muscles. At the same time, they help in faster fat burning.
Also read: Eating protein or drinking protein: What’s better?
4. Added nutrients: Protein shakes provide your body with added nutrition that your diet could be lacking.
5. Convenient: Other protein sources may take some effort from you, like roasting chicken or preparing lentils can be a deal. But when you don’t have the time for all that protein shakes can really save you.
Which one should you choose for weight loss—green tea or a protein shake?
Both of these beverages may support healthy metabolism and reduce your appetite. They may also help you lose body fat without losing muscle. Therefore, both are incredibly healthy!
Dr Reddy says, “Which one you choose depends on the type of workout that you are doing in the gym. In the case of heavy workouts, intensity training, or weightlifting, protein shakes are good. If you are in the gym for a workout like a treadmill or cycling for a shorter duration, green tea can be good to go!