Listen to this article
Have you ever wondered how to relax your mind and body whenever you felt worn out and lacking in energy? The one solution which is quite famous and easy to try is a saltwater bath. Well, one benefit of adding salt to your regular bucket of warm bathwater is that it can help to calm your body and mind. Find out how it can be useful!
How to relax your mind and body?
Health Shots spoke to Dr Jyoti Kapoor, Senior Psychiatrist, Manasthali, about how salt water baths can benefit the mind and body.
Dr Kapoor says, “Bath salts have come in use as an easy and inexpensive way to treat mental and physical health ailments. It is commonly made from magnesium sulfate (Epsom salt) or sea salt, is easily dissolved in warm bath water, and used for everything from stress relief to aches and pains.”
Here are 5 benefits of bath salt for your overall health:
The minerals in detox baths are said to aid in weight loss, improve health, reduce stress, ease constipation, and help the body eliminate pollutants. The positive effects of aromatherapy on relaxation and in elevating mood can be increased by incorporating essential oils like lavender or peppermint.
2. Migraines and muscular pain
Bath salts can aid with muscle pain and even headaches by reducing inflammation. It is beneficial to add bath salt and a few drops of essential oil to promote muscle relaxation.
3. Muscle aches
Bath salts can relieve muscle aches by relaxing tight muscles and reducing inflammation. It might also be beneficial to incorporate a few drops of diluted cinnamon bark essential oil.
4. Skin inflammation or irritation
Bath salts can be used to treat eczema, psoriasis, contact dermatitis, and athlete’s foot to lessen skin inflammation and irritation.
Also read: This is one ingredient you must reduce from your diet and add to your bath
Dr Kapoor says, “A warm Epsom salt bath will help ease tight muscles after exercise as well as stiff and painful joints. The bath salt can also be used to target particular joints and body regions.”
6. Benefits for the mind
- Epsom salt reduces stress: The salt works wonders as a stress reliever. It helps the brain produce stress-relieving neurotransmitters like serotonin because of its high magnesium content. Additionally, your mood and appetite will be better, which can both be impacted by your body’s lower serotonin levels.
- Epsom salt calms you down: If there is a lot of chaos going on and you need a respite that will help you calm down, soaking your feet in warm Epsom salt water can help you unwind. You are advised to use it to calm your brain nerves by loosening the muscles around your skull.
- Epsom salt promotes sleep: Epsom salt’s high magnesium content promotes sound sleep by accelerating the melatonin production process. The next time you have difficulties falling asleep, consider taking a hot bath with Epsom salts as a natural sleep aid.
- Epsom salt reduces anxiety: It is an effective natural remedy for anxiety issues. It has been demonstrated that using Epsom salts reduces cortisol levels, calming the psyche. Additionally, it has therapeutic benefits that lessen anxiety. The heart rate and blood pressure are frequently raised by anxiety. By using this salt, you can bring them down and then relax them again.
Now you know why a saltwater bath is recommended as a fantastic way to heal and revitalize your exhausted body. So, give it a shot!