A very common reason people start working out is to get a flat tummy and lose weight faster. It’s no secret that exercise is key for weight loss. But before we get into what are some of the best exercises for weight loss that you can do at home, it is important to understand how weight loss works.
To know all the fuss around workouts and weight loss, Health Shots spoke to Gauthaman Ramesh, fitness expert, Cult.fit.
Ramesh says, “Weight loss happens via a simple equation. Calories in versus calories out. This is a proven fact like gravity. So, this basically means that for someone to lose weight they must eat a little less and do activities to burn calories that would put them in an overall caloric deficit.”
If losing weight faster is as simple as that, why can’t we burn our calories by other physical activities? Why exercise?
To answer that, Ramesh says, “Well, strength training workouts, however basic, provide the best bang for your buck. They not only burn a bunch of calories but also help you build muscle, bone density and strength required for day-to-day life.”
All you need to do is to make sure that the weight that you lose is from fat and not muscle which is key for a healthy weight loss.
Listed below are a few high-intensity exercises that can help you lose weight faster:
1. Mountain Climbers
It is a high-intensity exercise that helps burn a lot of calories but also if done right helps improve core strength and stability. This is one move that can be added to any workout routine. 3 sets, 40 seconds on and 20 seconds off.
- Get into a plank position.
- Hands shoulder width apart, back straight core engaged.
- Bring your right knee to chest as far as you can.
- Switch legs and repeat the movement.
- Keeping the hips down, repeat the movement with the core tight.
2. Lateral Shuffle
Works on functional fitness via improving side-to-side movement. Can be added to any workout. 4 sets, 45 seconds on, 20 seconds off.
- Start with legs shoulder width apart and have a slight knee bend.
- Start shuffling side to side with 4 steps each side.
- Repeat this fast for the prescribed time.
Works on improving core, shoulder, and leg drive. Can be added to the workout in this fashion – 5 sets, 7 reps, 20 seconds off
Here is a detailed step-by-step explanation of sprawls:
- Stand upright with knees slightly bent.
- Bend down swiftly into a plank position, from here kick and bring the feet close to your hands.
- From this position, kick back and bring the feet back to plank position. Repeat this for the prescribed time. Return to the starting position.
4. Tall plank shoulder taps
Works on core and shoulder stability. Can be added at the start of a workout in the following fashion. 3 sets, 30 seconds on 10 seconds off
- Start with a plank position and keep your core engaged.
- While keeping your core engaged , lift one arm up and tap it on the alternating shoulder. Repeat the same with the other arm as well.
- Repeat this cycle for the prescribed time.
5. Bodyweight reverse lunges
Improves hip stability and leg strength. Can be added to a workout in this fashion – 4 sets, 10 reps.
- Start with feet shoulder width apart.
- Keeping your core tight and lunge down with keeping one leg behind the other.
- From here use leg drive to come to the standing position. Repeat the same on the other side as well.
- Repeat this cycle for the prescribed reps.