Listen to this article
A dental infection is usually a pus-filled area like a sac or boil which has been caused due to bacterial activity triggered by unfavourable conditions in the oral environment which includes poor oral hygiene, excessive sugar consumption, and tobacco and alcohol use. So, if you’re wondering how to protect your teeth from infection, you’ll find the solution here.
Read the causes of dental infection
Dental infections can originate in various situations, such as:
1. Poor oral hygiene can lead to cavities, gum disease, and other dental problems, including infection.
2. Infections can be contracted from procedures or instruments in the mouth hence sterilization and infection control protocols should be strictly followed.
3. More likely in patients who have diabetes or any autoimmune diseases.
How to spot an oral infection?
Dental infection, once initiated in the mouth, can spread rapidly and damage the adjacent supporting structures and even lead to eventual tooth loss. Hence, it is imperative to protect your teeth from infection and spot the early signs.
Common signs of dental infection include:
- Bleeding from the gums
- Pus discharge
- Foul odour from the mouth
- Foul taste in the mouth
How to treat dental infection?
If you have been diagnosed with an infection, there are ways to treat it. These may include medication or certain dental procedures which can physically drain the infection.
Also read: Do your teeth hurt during winter? Follow these 7 expert tips to prevent it
Antibiotic therapy is always the first line of treatment for an infection.
Some infections are unresponsive to medication or need further physical treatment which can be done with various dental procedures.
A dental laser is very effective in treating gum infections and creating a sterile environment and root canal or endodontic treatment helps in treating tooth-related infections.
How to prevent an oral infection?
As they say, prevention is always better than cure. Therefore, good oral hygiene is essential for keeping your teeth healthy and free from infection. Here are 5 tips to protect your teeth:
1. Use a fluoride-containing toothpaste to brush your teeth twice daily. Fluoride helps to strengthen your tooth enamel and protect against tooth decay.
2. Floss at least once a day. Flossing removes plaque and food particles from the spaces between your teeth that your toothbrush can’t reach.
3. Use an antiseptic mouthwash to help kill bacteria that can lead to infection.
4. Eat a balanced diet that includes crunchy fruits and vegetables, which help to clean your teeth and gums. Avoid sugary and starchy foods, which can increase your risk of cavities and gum disease.
Also read: Say bye to yellow teeth with these 5 home remedies for sparkling white teeth
5. Visit the dentist frequently for cleanings and examinations. Your dentist can detect early signs of infection and provide treatment before it becomes a more serious problem.
By taking these steps, you can help protect your teeth from infection and maintain a healthy, beautiful smile.