Every year, you come across a myriad of jokes and stories that make you question whether or not the things around you are real. This is also true when it comes to health. With so much information circulating around, it can be hard to fathom what to believe and what not to believe. While jokes are harmless, believing these myths can put your health in jeopardy. This World April Fool’s Day, don’t let these common health myths fool you.
Having said that, let’s dive into the pool of health myths and bust them for good!
Let’s bust common health myths this World April Fool’s Day
Myth 1: Drinking less than 8 glasses of water is bad
This myth has been affecting hydrated folks for too long because they think they haven’t drunk enough water when they are perfectly hydrated. Even the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has not given any guidelines on how much water you should drink daily. Drinking water is not the only source of water. As per CDC, while 80 percent of total water intake comes from drinks, the other 20 percent comes from foods. Drinking when you are thirsty and drinking with meals is enough to keep you hydrated, as per the world health authority.
Also Read: Have you been drinking water the right way? Know how to do it
Myth 2: All fats are bad fats
A very common myth is that a lot of people believe that all fats are bad for your health. There are good and bad fats, all you need is to know the difference between the two. Did you know your body also uses fats for energy? Saturated and trans fat is not good for you, whereas monosaturated, polyunsaturated, and omega-3 fatty acids are good for you. So, you don’t have to cut all fat from your diet but you have to be careful of the kind of fats you eat.
Myth 3: You get sexually transmitted diseases from toilet seats
Sexually transmitted infections (STIs) or sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) can spread through bacteria, viruses, or parasites. These creatures cannot survive or flourish on hard surfaces, including toilet seats. STIs that are caused by bacteria cannot exist outside of your body’s mucous membranes. This is the reason getting an STI through a toilet seat is quite unlikely. But yes, you can get an infection because of how dirty these toilet seats are.
Myth 4: Starving yourself is the best weight loss remedy
While starving yourself might seem like a quick and effective remedy to get rid of the extra fat, it can do more harm than good. A radical shift in your eating schedule can lead to severe health problems. Studies including the one published in the journal Pediatric Endocrinology found that starving yourself can slow down the metabolism, lead to kidney and liver problems, and weaken your immune system.
Myth 5: Snoring is harmless
Mild, occasional snoring is usually not an issue, but loud, continuous snoring may be a sign of some medical disorders. Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA), a dangerous respiratory problem that disrupts sleep and stops a person from breathing in the oxygen their body need, may be the cause of chronic or loud snoring. So, don’t treat snoring as a normal everyday thing that happens to everybody, it does not and needs immediate attention.
Also Read: These 5 neat tricks will help you or your partner put snoring to rest
Myth 6: Not a mental health issue, its just mood swings
A lot of times it happens that mental health issues are swept under the carpet thinking that they are just mood swings. But they are not! According to UNICEF, it happens more with teenagers. Poor mental health is not believed to a big issue, rather it is sidelined as mood swings or hormonal fluctuations or a way to get attention. However, this is one of the biggest myths that people should stop believing because it can put someone’s life in danger.
Myth 7: Being thin is equivalent to being healthy
Do you believe that you can only be healthy when you are thin, you’re wrong! Studies have shown that each person stores fat in a distinct way. The majority of an individual’s fat storage location is genetic and gender-based. According to research, some people have a genetic variation that prevents their bodies from storing fat beneath the skin. As a result, the fat is deposited elsewhere, which interferes with the body’s functions.
While being thin is always a sign of good health, being slightly overweight is also not a sign of bad health. Make sure you talk to your doctor to know the risks of being thin or overweight.