There is a reason why your parents always forced you to gulp down that one glass of milk every morning. A hormone known as peptide YY, well-known for its ability to combat hunger, is included in this wonder beverage. So it not only gets your day off to a good start, but it also keeps you full. As a result, you will not binge eat and maintain your diet. While the notion that milk is an excellent option for a diet that promotes weight loss may sound odd, we have expert and scientific proof to back it up. Read on to find out all about it.
Health Shots reached out to Divya, Consultant – Dietitian /Nutritionist, Motherhood Hospitals, Banashankari, Bengaluru, to discuss the benefits of milk and if it can be a part of the weight loss diet.
Divya says, “People who are trying to lose weight often avoid specific foods that can cause them to gain weight. Milk is one such item. But it does not really lead to weight gain. In fact, milk can help a person lose weight in a healthy way.”
Why do people believe milk cannot aid in weight loss?
Part of the reason that milk gets a bad reputation for weight management is because of its high calorie and fat content. When it comes to losing weight, these two aspects cannot be ignored. However, while keeping these factors in mind, you should not ignore other nutritional advantages of milk. Its nutritious value can make you realize that it is actually a weight-loss friendly beverage.
Can milk help with weight loss?
The solution is unmistakable. Milk can indeed aid in weight loss. A recent study in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition suggests that dairy products, such as milk, may help you lose weight.
Here are 5 reasons why milk is best for weight loss:
- Milk is actually a great source of protein, the macronutrient essential for building and maintaining muscle mass in the body. Building and maintaining muscle mass is a great strategy for those who are on their weight loss journey; in doing so, they strengthen themselves while shedding fat at the same time in a healthy balance.
- Milk can reduce sensations of hunger and keep you satisfied for a longer period of time due to the peptide YY hormone.
- Calcium is abundant in milk. It promotes metabolism, which eventually results in weight loss.
- A milk and banana smoothie is a great source of protein, calcium, fiber, and potassium. These nutrients help to keep you satiated.
- Milk is an excellent source of vitamin B12, magnesium, and zinc, all of which are great for weight loss, in addition to protein and calcium.
The great thing about milk is that it comes in a lot of varieties. You should choose skimmed milk (milk from which the cream has been removed) as it can be a good option for people looking at weight loss.
Also read: Is milk better for your health when it’s hot or cold? Let’s find out
Why is skimmed milk a good option for weight loss?
“Those who are on a weight-loss journey can have skimmed milk, which is low in fat content. And because of its high thermogenic effect, a healthy amount of skimmed milk is especially beneficial in a weight-loss program,” says Divya. This means that it is slow to metabolise the protein content while burning more calories and expending additional energy.
Add honey and turmeric to milk for added benefit
Warm milk can strengthen the immune system and give the body some much-needed warmth and energy at the same time during the winter. It can be consumed just by itself or paired with honey or turmeric. These tried-and-tested combinations have several advantages, including better digestion, healthier bones, and better sleep.
Consuming milk is highly beneficial for the body, be it for fat loss or fighting the winter cold or maintaining good immunity. People who aren’t lactose intolerant should incorporate a healthy serving of milk into their diet.