Your search for a mask for shiny hair ends here! This nourishing hair mask contains just 2 ingredients from your kitchen rack which makes it super affordable. We vouch for this one because it can transform your dead tresses into shimmering locks. The first ingredient you need for this mask is green moong dal which is a staple in Indian households. It is rich in nutrients and protein that can also nourish your hair when applied topically. Another superb ingredient is banana. If you have an overripe banana sitting in the fruit basket and crying over its useless fate, it’ll be a perfect pick for this hair mask.
But before we jump on how to make this immensely hydrating hair mask, we need to speak to an expert who agrees with us on its effectiveness.
Health Shots spoke to Dr Shelly Dhallam, beauty expert at Face Craft Salon and Spa, who rolled out several benefits of using this homemade mask for shiny hair.
Dr Dhallam says, “Green moong and ripe banana hair mask is one hair mask that I strongly suggest to all the women. It hydrates and softens the hair strands due to its nourishing qualities. Moong is rich in proteins that are the building blocks of hair. Banana, on the other hand, is an elixir for hair health.”
Dr Dhallam lists some brilliant benefits of this mask:
- Green moong is packed with essential vitamins, minerals and fats that reduce hair breakage. It’s also loaded with vitamin C and antioxidants that promote hair growth.
- Coming to ripe bananas, they nourish your scalp and give hair the perfect shine.
- Being rich in potassium and natural oils, which helps soften the hair and safeguard hair’s natural elasticity, bananas help in preventing breakage and split ends.
- They also help with frizz, prevent and control dandruff and most importantly give instant volume to the hair.
“A combination of the two in the form of a hair mask is a powerhouse of goodness and a superfood that your hair and scalp will thank you for,” says Dr Dhallam, who is also a celebrity makeup artist.
Here’s how you can make this green moong and banana mask for shiny hair:
- To make this mask, you have to simply soak the green moong overnight or boil it and blitz it into a fine paste.
- Now, peel an overripe banana and mash it in a bowl.
- Pour the banana puree into the moong dal mix.
- Combine the two properly to make a thick mask-like consistency.
- Now section your hair and apply it all over your scalp and the lengths of your hair.
- Keep it on for 15-20 minutes or until semi dry.
- Wet your hair and scrub it gently with wet fingers and wash it off using a mild shampoo and feel your feather like soft hair!
- Applying this mask twice a week will definitely reverse your hair fall and put rest to all your hair woes.
This hair mask is perfect for individuals of any age and can be used by men too. According to Dr Dhallam, this mask is also perfect for brides-to-be. One should start using this mask a month prior to their big day to have bouncy and silky hair right in time!