Modern-day lifestyles have left us stuck in a fast and hectic life. Paucity of time always becomes an excuse to skip the most essential part of our daily meal, breakfast. And hectic evenings push us into consuming fast food. But hang on, who told you that you need to spend long hours or minutes to prep a good and filling snack? Nothing can be simpler than a sandwich! So, we’re suggesting you some healthy sandwich recipes which are also high on taste.
3 ways to make a healthy sandwich
Health Shots got in touch with dietitian Avni Kaul to suggest some sandwich recipes.
1. Peas and potato sandwich
Devour this deadly combination of bread, peas, and potatoes along with spices.
1 bowl of large peas, boiled
3 potatoes (grated), boiled
2 green chilies, chopped
half tsp of Madras curry powder
1/4 tsp of coriander powder
4 Kaffir lime leaves finely chopped
1/4 tsp of red chili powder
2 tbsp of olive oil
6 bread slices
salt as per your taste
* Heat the pan and drizzle it using olive oil and flash-fry green chilies. Add the potatoes and saute.
* Add kaffir lime leaves, curry powder, boiled peas, red chilli powder, coriander powder, and salt.
* Mash the potatoes and peas and allow them to cook for a couple of minutes.
* When cooked, leave the filling to cool down.
* Use slices of bread and butter them properly.
* Spread the filling on 3 bread slices and then cover them each with a slice of bread.
2.Grilled cheese sandwich
This is perhaps one of the easiest sandwiches to make.
4 bread slices
1 tsp of salt
1/8 tsp of black pepper powder
half a cup of cheese, grated
to taste some green chilies, chopped
1 tbsp of coriander leaves, chopped
1 tbsp of butter.
* Mix cheese, salt, black pepper, coriander, and green chilies.
* Butter the slices of the bread.
* Place half each of the cheese mixtures on two slices, on the unbuttered side.
* Cover both the other slices, buttered side on top.
Grill and serve.
3. Tomato, cucumber sandwich
This is yet another easy one that will take less than 10 minutes of preparation.
8 to 10 slices whole wheat bread or brown or white sandwich bread
1 medium-sized tomato thinly sliced
1 medium-sized cucumber thinly sliced
freshly crushed black pepper or pepper powder as needed
cumin powder as needed– optional
butter as needed salted or unsalted.
* Rinse the vegetables using fresh water a few times. * Peel the cucumber and finely slice the cucumber and tomatoes in thin rounds. Keep them aside.
* Trim the edges of the bread if you like it that way. * Apply butter equally on the slices of bread and keep aside.
* Arrange slices of tomato and cucumber on the bread.
* Sprinkle 2 to 3 pinches of pepper powder or freshly ground pepper, cumin powder, and salt on the tomato-cucumber slices.
* Cover with another slice of buttered bread.
While serving you can cut the sandwiches into 2 or 4 parts.
* Serve tomato cucumber sandwiches.