If you are an Instagram aficionado and love to see what your favourite celeb or fitness influencer is doing to stay in shape, you must have noticed a difference lately. And that’s the usage of various accessories and props to make the simplest of moves interesting and enjoyable. One such gym accessory that everyone is putting their hands on nowadays is Bosu ball.
Recently, actresses from Kriti Sanon to Urvashi Rautela, have been seen with a Bosu ball as their gym buddy. And why not, because a small tool like a Bosu ball may be helping them achieve their desired results in less than the usual time.
But you can’t skip the fact that everyone is training with the Bosu ball under guidance. Have you noticed? Well, that’s because not taking enough precaution with a Bosu ball can lead to a serious injury.
From rupturing your back, dismantling your posture to leading to an unexpected fall that can impact your hip and lower body joints and muscles – anything can happen if you take Bosu ball for granted.
So, if you are enticed by the idea of getting yourself this game-changing gear, we want you to read some common mistakes people make with a Bosu ball and make the most of it.
But first, let’s understand what Bosu ball is?
Bosu ball is a multi-purpose semi-circle ball that has a host of utilities, ranging from stretching, balancing, and recovery workouts, to strength training, and plyometric training. Owing to its shape and structure, the ball can be kept facing down from either of the sides, subject to the training requirements.
Here are the 5 common mistakes people make with a Bosu ball
- Lack of understanding of the objective: You need to be clear about the purpose of the use of Bosu balls. While it is great for stability, flexibility, and stretching, performing high-intensity exercises will defeat the purpose and increase the chances of accidents. Furthermore, lifting very heavyweights on the ball will tire out the muscles sooner than doing it on a flat surface. Hence, use this equipment only when your objective is clear.
- Starting with tougher challenges: “Bosu balls also work on the smaller muscles that are usually ignored in regular workouts. Hence, it requires a high degree of coordination, particularly for beginners. They need to learn to take it slow and not simply do the exercises meant for the experts. One good way to begin is to practice just standing on it before advancing,” tells fitness expert Meenakshi Mohanty.
- Using without supervision: A wrong posture or movement can hamper your balance and throw you off it, causing grave injuries. Even stretching or performing weight training using the ball, without expert supervision, especially in the early and untrained stages can cause severe muscle and other injuries to the body.
- Placing the ball without any nearby support: The ball should at all times be placed close to a hard perpendicular surface that beginners can hold on to in case they are losing their balance. In case of performing core exercises or weight training, make sure you first learn to support adequately on the ball to avoid injuries.
- Choosing the wrong side to balance carefully: “A Bosu ball can be used on both sides with either the flat side up or the dome side up. Needless to say, each comes with its own set of difficulties and purpose. Hence, understand carefully which side would be more useful and less injury-prone before proceeding,” suggests Meenakshi Mohanty.
Here are some super amazing benefits of Bosu ball if you use it right
- Encouraging stability: The Bosu ball provides optimal support to muscles while lifting free weights. Not only does it provide flexibility but also engages the core muscles continuously, thereby providing a more effective workout. While the exercises become more challenging, the ball ensures the muscles are cushioned against injuries.
- Enhances Flexibility: “The dome of the Bosu ball can offer flexibility to the muscles while stretching the core or back muscles. On the other hand, when the dome faces downward and the ball stands at a slight angle, it can be utilized to stretch leg muscles. This equipment encourages flexibility through unique and effective stretches,” suggests Meenakshi Mohanty.
- Makes workouts Interesting through variety: A Bosu ball can spice up your regular workout by doing the same exercise, but differently, with the help of the ball. This leads to a variety in the workout, breaking the monotony and encouraging fitness aspirants to continue exercising with equal gusto.
Here’s a pro tip for you by Meenakshi Mohanty
Practice the workouts on a flat surface first before starting with the Bosu ball. Beginners or people with injuries should specifically consult an expert before starting their fitness journey.
So ladies, kick off your weight loss journey with Bosu ball.