Ready to take your taste buds on a fruity adventure? Say goodbye to store-bought jams filled with preservatives and hello to homemade, healthy goodness! With just a few simple ingredients and steps, you can transform your favorite fruits into a delicious and nutritious spread. So grab your apron, roll up your sleeves, and let’s get jammin’! Health Shots brings you the recipe of how to make healthy jams, so let’s take a look at it.
Kids love having jams with everything, whether it is with bread toast or a paratha. And making breakfast with jam is quick too but not healthy. Store-bought jams don’t have the goodness of real fruits and are filled with artificial flavours, preservatives and lots and lots of sugar. So, the simple solution to keep our kids healthy is homemade jams with no sugar! Making healthy jams at home can be an enjoyable and rewarding experience, and the best part is you have control over the ingredients used.
Here are the steps to make your own healthy jams at home:
1. Choose your ingredients
You can use almost any fruit to make jam, but some of the healthiest options include berries (strawberries, raspberries, blackberries), stone fruits (peaches, plums, apricots), and tropical fruits (mangoes, papayas). You’ll also need a natural sweetener such as honey or maple syrup, and a natural thickener such as chia seeds.
2. Prepare the fruit
Wash and chop the fruit into small pieces and remove any seeds, stems, or tough parts. If you’re using a firmer fruit like peaches, you will need to cook them first to soften them up.
3. Sweeten the fruit
Add your natural sweetener to the fruit and let it sit for a few minutes. This will allow the fruit to release some of its natural juices and the sweetener to dissolve.
4. Add the thickener
Mix in the chia seeds or another natural thickener. Chia seeds will absorb the liquid from the fruit and create a thick, gel-like texture.
5. Cook the jam
Transfer the fruit mixture to a saucepan and heat over medium heat, stirring constantly. As the jam cooks, it will thicken and reduce. This process should take anywhere from 10-30 minutes, depending on the type of fruit you’re using.
6. Test for doneness
To check if your jam is done, place a small spoonful on a plate and let it cool for a minute. If it holds its shape and doesn’t run, it’s ready.
7. Cool and store
Let the jam cool completely and transfer it to a clean, air tight container. It can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a month.
Benefits of homemade jams
Jams made with fresh fruits and natural sweeteners can offer several health benefits.
1. Nutrient-rich: Fruits contain essential vitamins and minerals, and making your own jam allows you to retain more of these nutrients compared to store-bought options.
2. Low in sugar: By using natural sweeteners like honey or maple syrup, you can control the amount of sugar in your jam, making it a healthier alternative to store-bought options.
3. Antioxidants: Berries, which are a popular fruit used in jam, contain high levels of antioxidants which help to protect against cell damage.
4. Fiber: Fruits are a natural source of fiber, which is important for digestive health.
5. No preservatives: Homemade jam is free of artificial preservatives, making it a healthier choice for you and your family.
By making your own healthy jams at home, you can enjoy a delicious spread that’s free of preservatives and loaded with healthy ingredients. So why not give it a try today and start spreading the love?