If weight loss is on your mind, you might be looking for the best fat-burning exercises that might show results quickly so you can continue to be inspired to pursue your goal. What do you think about plank jacks, then? Plank jacks are the ideal workout you can include in your weight-loss routine since they include the two most well-known exercises for losing weight: jumping jacks and planks. So how to do jumping jacks? Let’s find out.
Health Shots reached out to Vaneeta Batra a transformation life coach and a fitness enthusiast to find out the benefits of performing jumping jacks in weight loss.
Here’s how to do plank jacks:
Step 1: Start by standing in a high plank. Kneel down on a mat, place your hands on the ground, and extend your arms so that they are directly underneath your shoulders.
Step 2: Now, stretch your legs out behind you. Set your feet firmly on the ground and elevate your buttocks so that your shoulders and hips are in line.
Step 3: Use your glutes and core muscles to stabilize yourself in the plank position. Additionally, maintain your back flat, look down at the ground, and make sure your entire body is in a straight line.
Step 4: Stay in the plank position; now the whole task is to be performed by your legs.
Step 5: As you jump with both legs spread wide to each side, keep your abs firm.
Step 6: Once you’ve done it, quickly jump back to the center with both feet.
Step 7: Perform at least 10 repetitions while continuing to jump in and out.
Note: Keep your hips from dropping throughout the entire movement, and maintain a straight back. Additionally, keep your arms stable.
The movement must resemble a jumping jack executed while holding a plank position.
Can plank jacks help with weight loss?
The plank and any variation of the plank work all the core muscles, including the obliques and the abdominal region. Additionally, they stimulate the back and hip muscles.
Plank jacks are a strength and cardio exercise. They can aid in building up your upper and lower body muscles. It may increase core strength and stability, avoid backaches, and raise your cardiovascular endurance. The question is how it aids in weight loss.
Well, Batra says, “Plank jacks can raise your heart rate, burn calories, and speed up your metabolism because they are excellent cardio exercise. Your entire body is engaged, and due to this, every muscle in your body works to reduce fat.” Both of these aspects of this exercise help with weight loss.
Plank jacks also develop the chest, abdominals, back, shoulders, and arms in addition to the abs and core muscles.
Also read: Love planks for weight loss? Try these variations to lose some extra kilos
3 other plank variations for weight loss
Try these 3 plank variations, which will help you get ready to perform plank jacks if practicing plank jacks seems a little challenging.
1. Plank sides tap
- Start in the plank position.
- Dig your toes into the ground and lift your butt to where your shoulders line up with your hips.
- Draw your navel toward your spine to tighten your abs as you step your right foot out to the right, and back to the center.
- Repeat with your left leg. Do this 10 reps.
2. Plank jack to frog
- Start in a high plank position and perform one plank jack.
- Then, lift your hips and both legs towards your hands, landing gently on your toes with your knees bent.
- Hop back to the high plank.
- Do this 10 reps.
3. Plank jack to squat jump
- Start in the high plank position and perform one plank jack.
- Then, lift your hips and both legs towards your hands.
- Lift your hands and torso, and push off your heels to explode up.
- Land flat on your feet in a squat, return your hands to the floor, and hop your legs back into a high plank.
- Do this 10 reps.